Carbon footprinting is becoming an increasingly important consideration for businesses, driven by a combination of mandatory reporting requirements, and a growing awareness of how environmental risks – from climate change to volatile energy and commodity prices – can affect operations and supply chains. Taking early action to address potential hazards can generate new business opportunities and differentiators, for example, many major corporations in the UK work with the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) to disclose the greenhouse gas emissions.
THE PROCESS: WHAT WE DELIVER
Carbon footprints are generally calculated according to ISO14064-1 (2012) and the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol – developed by the World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Business Council on Sustainable Development (WBCSD) – using emissions factors from DEFRA and other internationally recognised databases. The first step is to create an accurate ‘inventory’, clarifying both the boundaries (ie. financial control or operational control) of the footprint, and the aspects associated with both direct emissions – from sources that are owned or controlled by the business – and indirect emissions, occurring as a consequence of its activities. The GHG Protocol further categorises these direct and indirect emissions into three broad scopes:
- SCOPE 1 – All direct GHG emissions
- SCOPE 2 – Indirect GHG emissions from consumption of purchased electricity, heat or steam
- SCOPE 3 – Other indirect emissions, such as the extraction and production of purchased materials and fuels, transport-related activities in vehicles not owned or controlled by the business, electricity-related activities (eg. T&D losses) not covered in SCOPE 2, outsourced activities, waste disposal, etc.
Through our Carbon Footprinting Service, we will work with you to collate emissions data (SCOPE 1 and SCOPE 2) from your operational records:
- Combustion emissions (eg. boilers burning natural gas)
- Owned, operated or controlled transport (eg. fleet vehicles)
- Fugitive emissions (eg. refrigeration leaks recorded in your F-Gas register)
- Consumption of purchased electricity, heat, steam and/or cooling
- Process emissions (eg. waste processing)
If required, we can also include voluntary (SCOPE 3) data, such as :
- Purchased materials and fuels
- Transport-related activities
- Leased assets, franchising and outsourcing
- Sold goods and services
- Waste disposal
In addition, for businesses wishing to participate in the CDP, we can conduct the required report validation and assist in writing the CDP report for shareholders.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS FOR YOUR COMPANY?
- Straightforward compilation of GHG emission data
- Regular review of events affecting your emissions
- Assistance for financial auditors assessing reporting information
- Experienced team to aid CDP report validation and shareholder reporting
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO NEXT?
Call us to discuss your requirements or arrange a visit from one of our experienced team. We can talk you through your GHG emission reporting requirements and create a bespoke service to address your business needs.
[button-yellow url=”http://www.energiseconsulting.com/about/contact-us/” target=”_Blank” position=”center”]CONTACT US[/button-yellow]